Sunday 25 November 2012

Object Drawing

Amanda Zima
Amanda Zima is a wonderful artist whos object drawings are very unique. She keeps the objects simple and draws it twice but on the second time, she draws the objects as if they've been smashed to pieces. This inspired me to put a twist on my object drawings and lead me to the retro, antique theme.



Drawing an object of our choice gives us a huge variety to work with. I decided I wanted to go with a household object from the past. I'm extremely interested in steampunk and vintage objects so I decided I wanted to create an early 20th century telephone.
As per usually, I create 6 small sketches inspired by many different images.


This gave me the visuals I needed to create the first sketch.


I drew the concept on paper and scanned it in and used Photoshop to paint. I used the same shading technique as I would with paper and stacked layers of shade to create the depth and shadows.

The final object had a lot of inspiration from the objects used from Amanda's piece (Above). I want to create a simple, retro styled image. From the inspired piece, I've changed quite a bit. Amanda used a fine line technique where I used shading and lighting to create the shape of my image. Highlights, mid ton and reflective light were used to create the image and Im really pleased with the outcome.


This was a personal project. i wanted to create an image like Amanda's but already cracked/ruined. I wanted to create an egg as I could really use my lighting techniques to create a realistic and 3D effect.




No comments:

Post a Comment