Friday 9 November 2012

Character Concept Art

Inspirational Artist

By chance, I came across Lorin Wood's portfolio whilst looking into mechanical scenes and characters. Lorin Wood is a unique, talented character and environment artist who has worked on such games as Boarderlands 1 & 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines. He uses a lot of geometric shapes and straight lines to create his mechas and has published many of them around the web. (nuthinbutmech.blogspot.co.uk)



This piece in particular is one of my favourite. 

Before any large scale sketches can begin, I usually create 6 small, rough sketches of inspiring pieces.
This gets my own inspiration on paper and allows me to pick certain features from a piece and customise it in my own way.

Concept Work

After these sketches I had a clear idea to what my character was going to look like and with that confidence  I began a large scale sketch.


I then scanned in the sketch and opened it on PhotoShop. Using different technique, I created my final character concept.
(Without colour)

I used other mechs for colour inspiration and to help create the shades. I really wanted to create realistic shading to portray the 3D character.

(With colour)
Once I finished the character I didn't feel it was complete. I needed to create a background to give a story and so I went for a apocalyptic world.



Im extremely pleased with the final outcome of my character. The inspiration was a huge help for creating the basic structure and features.
The colours were inspired by copper and rusted mechanical objects to create a rustic effect and to show the emphases the age of the robot.
The inspired piece had the structure but there wasn't anything else going on. I wanted my image to have more features and involvement from the environment to create a story.
From learning about lighting a scene in previous lessons, I added highlights, mid tons and core shadows to create portray the lighting and to create the shininess of the material.



No comments:

Post a Comment